Sunday, November 26, 2017

One More Thing about Loja Culture: Beauty

La Belleza 

I recently did a photo-shoot with some friends, and that's when I realized how much I've learned about how to look presentable and do extra things to look one's best because of the culture here. Beauty is a big part of Lojano culture, and I'm enjoying adapting.

La ropa 

I really have no idea where it comes from, but I know that doing one's best to habitually look presentable is a mindset for men and women that starts when one is young. First let's talk about clothing. Lojano schools have uniforms and parents teach their children to take care of those uniforms. They even take the time to iron them. Many jobs also have uniforms so their customers can have a visual for their dedication to excellence. I am required to wear a uniform at my job, and I do feel more professional because of it. Even though I never even owned one in the States, one of my first purchases in Loja was an iron!

Aside from the workplace, each occasion calls for different attire. I can honestly say that very rarely have I seen a Lojana woman wear a T-shirt and lounge pants outside her house. If it can be worn as pajamas, it does not leave the house (this "rule" does seem to be more for women than men). Casual clothing (a.k.a jeans and a t-shirt for men, and jeans and a blouse for women) is only worn at very casual events like friends or family hanging out at the park or going to see a movie on a Sunday afternoon. Exercise clothing is also only worn when exercising. Events like a nice dinner or a birthday party must be dressed up for, and going out on a Saturday night will require at least 30 minutes of preparation. For me, I've generally come to accept that I can't really overdress for any situation. I personally love this part of Lojano culture. I enjoy dressing up! 

Don't get me wrong- these customs don't make my friends shallow or superficial. Instead they recognize the truth that impressions matter. And more than anything, looking presentable is most important for the person wearing the clothes, not for those who see the person wearing the clothes. '

El maquillaje y peinado 

Let's talk about makeup and hair too! I have friends who never leave the house without make-up on. Even when they exercise, they are wearing make-up. Now, I haven't gone to that extreme, but I do realize that a little makeup can brighten up a look or play up your eyes. By living in this culture, I have truly learned that taking more time on these things is not about others, it's about myself. I value myself enough to put effort into looking my best, so I will take time to curl my hair for a special dinner or put on extra eye shadow when I go out. There's nothing wrong with looking in the mirror and liking what you see.

Comer saludable y hacer ejercicio

Speaking of enjoying the view in the mirror, another specific Lojano mentality is related to healthy living. Lojanos in general are healthy people. They emphasize eating right and exercising. This means taking the time to eat at home using fresh produce. This also means the public in general even if they are very busy during the week, use the weekends to exercise. When I began to lose weight a few months ago, almost everyone responded with either 1 of 2 questions. One: "Are you dieting?" Two: "Which gym are you going to?" There are many popular gyms in town, but I actually don't go to any of them. I exercise outside. This perspective does become contagious because they care not only about looking good, but also about feeling your best too.

Los precios

Living this way- exercising, doing hair and makeup, keeping clothing fitting well and looking good is easier for me in Loja and here's why: it's cheap! Gym memberships cost about the same as a membership in the States, but everything else is much cheaper. I can get a hair cut for less than 5 dollars. I can get my nails done for 3. Going to the tailor's to get my uniform re-fitted and fixing a pair of pants cost me 5 dollars too! I had never thought to get my clothes fitted in the States- that's for high class people, but in Loja it's within my price range! 

All of these things combined make for beautiful people. But they're not just beautiful on the outside, they have lovely hearts as well.

1 comment:

  1. Nice post. It was interesting to read about a woman's point of view on Lojano fashion.

    ReplyDelete